Apologies for the delay in updating but the summer has been a very busy one with more rail, private hire and vintage work than we had ever had. On some days there was up to 25 vintage vehicles out on a single day which was record breaking stuff for our fleet.
However we now start the work in earnest of getting ready for our annual running day this year taking place on December 7. It is always our intention to try and debut at least one vehicle on our running day although last year I think we ended up with around five not seen before with us, well this year we are attempting to put six completed projects back on the road but the planning to finish, re-certify, paint, check drivers out on, make blinds for etc etc mean that to make it all happen takes months of planning behind the scenes before hand for it to all come together. I know some people like the surprise so I won't list the six here or indeed update all their progress so will in this update stick to two major projects that are inching their way towards completion. First up is DUF179, a 1937 Harrington bodied Leyland TS7 originally new to Southdown.
As can be seen massive strides have been made with 95% of the body work complete, the radiator and water system all back in, including the long since disconnected heating system being repaired. And of course whilst doing the heating we also reinstated the air conditioning... In this case its a sliding roof controlled by way of a manually operated handle in the cab. Clearly for years this has been sealed closed but is now a wonderful feature and when back out in the daylight I will take some shots of it as we are trying to stop anymore dust settling inside at the moment and thus a photo of a closed roof would not be of great interest I suspect.
Meanwhile one of the 'star' vehicles we have coming along is the 10T10. I drove it on a maiden short journey in early August on a private estate where we were checking gears were all good. After fixing the issue with second we were able to test a little more each circuit and she performed very well. That said with no cab seat and no foot brake it was not the most comfortable drive I have ever done but probably one of the most satisfying. New brake cylinders have gone on, and a problem with the master cylinder put us back a bit but a reconditioned one has now gone on, the cab seat is due to go back next week so I am hopeful the next test drive will be a little more orthodox!
I am also told now that comments have been restored to these blogs but have no idea if indeed that is the case until I press the submit button, if so please feel free to post any questions, ideas or suggestions or anything you would like to see added to future updates so I can try to put up what people would be interested in seeing.
Cheers for now